SuperStar Awards to Honor Volunteer Emergency Personnel Across Virginia
Volunteer emergency responders and preparedness trainers will be recognized with the SuperStar Awards for their contributions to the Commonwealth.
Out of 46 nominees, 11 winners were chosen in categories to reflect the diverse aspects of emergency management, from medical airlift activity during a disaster, to preparedness training for refugee resettlement. View the 2013 winners below, and visit vaemergency.gov for updates, including honorable mentions.
1. Most Outstanding Medical Reserve Corps Volunteer - Joseph Stacy, Chesapeake
2. Most Outstanding Community Emergency Response Team Volunteer - Joan Minarik, Newport News CERT
3. Most Outstanding Volunteer in Police Service Volunteer - Shirley Patsel, Town of Vinton
4. Most Outstanding Fire Corps Volunteer - Rick Machado, Springfield Fire Corps
5. Most Outstanding Volunteer from Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster - Ivy West, Mercy Medical Airlift/Angel Flight Mid Atlantic, Virginia Beach
6. Most Outstanding Event/Activity - Disaster Preparedness Training for Refugee Resettlement Program hosted by Newport News CERT
7. Most Outstanding Regional Exercise - Peninsula Advanced Medical Operations Exercise hosted by Newport News CERT
8. Most Outstanding Local Exercise - Mass Medical Dispensing Exercise hosted by the Chesapeake Medical Reserve Corps
9. Most Outstanding Collaborative Event - Point of Distribution Exercise hosted by Newport News CERT
10. Most Outstanding Volunteer Trainer - Bill Meyer, Virginia Beach
11. Most Outstanding Training - Chesterfield County Office of the Senior Advocate
Award recipients were chosen by the Virginia Department of Emergency Management, Virginia Citizen Corps, Dominion Virginia Power, Virginia 1st, Virginia’s Financial Industry Business Continuity Planning Coalition and Ready Virginia.